Friday, August 19, 2005

Update-a-palooza!

Well, we've been kinda slacking on this Blog thing lately, with neither of us posting anything since Jenny got her awesome job. So, how about some updates....

Jenny is loving her job at Budget Blinds. They're swamped with work, but it's exciting and fun and not Hastings. She gets to sleep in tomorrow and for that, she is happy.

I have a potential job lined up at the Spokane Borders, since their Inventory Supervisor just put in his 2 weeks, and the first thing the GM there did was call Sean, so he could tell me to put in my application. She says that she really doesn't have anybody at her store that she can promote, so I think I'm already a shoe-in for the job. I'm going to apply, and take it if it's offered, but I'm going to keep looking for another (better) job as well. I really don't want to work in retail anymore, and if I can get out, I will. The IS job is pretty good, since it's a set schedule (T-S, 6am-3pm), but I'd rather have a M-F 9-5 desk job in all honesty.

So now that I've got a (semi-) sure job offer, we can start really looking for a place to live, except our landlord called us the other day to inform us he hasn't received our rent yet. We sent the money orders on the 1st, but who knows where they're at now.... We have to try and get them refunded, but all refunds requests have to be done by mail, and there's no guarantee that someone else hasn't already cashed them. We're so close to getting out of this place and then this happens, of course before we've had any reference checks done. And I know that when we tell our landlord that it could be up to a month until we get reimbursed, he'll want his money first. It's just stupid, because we're the absolute best tenants they've got here, and I really want to tell them that they can have their money when they get rid of the loud, obnoxious, alcoholic, druggie tenants who have the cops called on them.... but I don't want to chance losing a good new place by them giving us a bad reference. So close, but yet so far.

Tigger has her new house. She's moved in over there (all the stuff from the apartment, Lincoln still has most of the stuff at the house in Seattle). However, Monday her sprinkler system sprung a leak and flooded her basement. Luckily, almost everything was upstairs, but it still was a huge mess, and Jenny & I went over there and helped her pull all the carpet up downstairs. She was goping to get rid of it anyway, since she's putting all the critters down there, but she wasn't planning on doing it so soon, or under these particular circumstances....

Not sure what else to report on at the moment. I'll be very happy to get out of this place ASAP; a house would be nice, but we'll be happy with a nice clean apartment. I'm still trying to work on my art. I've been forcing myself to draw in my sketchbook everyday, but I haven't done anything I'd consider beyond a sketch or doodle in quite a while.

I've been trying to read more as well. I finished Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethum, which was an incredibly good read, although it took me forever to finish. Normally I'm a fairly quick reader, especially if I'm into a book, but this one was different. I wanted to read it, but I found myself having to go back and reread parts alot. Still, I highly recommend it. After that, I started reading The Plot Against America by Philip Roth. It's very well written, but also very heavy and quite depressing, and I couldn't really get into it right now. I needed something light and fluffy after Fortress of Solitude, so I picked up a young adult fantasy novel I've been eyeing at work for a while called Ranger's Apprentice: The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan ( a first time author). I read it in a couple of days (borrowed it from work), and it was light and a lot of fun. I just started Last Call, which is one of the last couple of Tim Powers books I haven't read yet. I've been looking for this one for quite a while, and finally found it at a used book store in Spokane. So far, it's excellent. After I finish it, I still need to finish Expiration Date and it's sequel Earthquake Weather, which I still don't own. I did pick up a new collection of short stories by Powers, Stange Itineraries, at work a couple of weeks ago, but I'm still waiting for a new novel by him. Latest word is probably another year (Summer 2006), but atleast I know it's on it's way. The next one is supposed to involve Einstein and Time Travel. Sounds like a winner! I still wish that someone could convince him to write a year (or more) worth of Hellblazer. He, of all people, understands how Magic should really work.....

If you're interested in learning more about Tim Powers (my favorite fantasy author), I'd highly recommend checking out:http://www.theworksoftimpowers.com/

Jenny just finished re-reading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince and has started Neuromancer by William Gibson. So far she says she enjoying it, so I'll have to remember to get my copies of Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive back from Josh so she can read those too. I still haven't got around to reading his latest, Pattern Recognition, or even All Tomorrow's Parties since I finally picked it up in paperback. But with ATP, I'm gonna want to go back and re-read Virtual Light and Idoru first so I know what's going on....

No comments: