Friday, May 26, 2006

Funky Weather and Memorial Day Weekend

So after the days of record breaking or tying heat, some nice thunderstorms rolled through. One day I was going along the Interstate to go pick up Peter from work, and had to nearly come to a stop with everyone else because of the weather. I've been in white-out conditions (who from Alaska hasn't?), and the rain was so hard I couldn't see more then a car's length in front of me for about 2 or 3 minutes. There was also lightning flickering overhead, but I couldn't hear the thunder directly over me because of the rain. So, unlike white-out conditions where there is the threat of hypothermia, this time it was the threat of electrocution. Fun! I quickly got to slower streets, which I was trying to get to anyway to avoid construction and all the bottlenecked cars.

The past few days have been nice and cool, but only rainy at night, if at all. In fact, it's been warmer in Fairbanks then here or CDA. Well, the sky opened up today, and it was hailing! I hadn't seen that in a while, so I stood out on the (what should I call it? "deck?" "porch?") pigeon bathroom just outside our back door (with flip flops on) and watched it come down. It was nice.

Back to "work" then. I've been commissioned by a friend and her siblings to paint a landscape for their Mom because she's getting remarried soon-ish. I'll take pictures every day untill it's done and put them on the art blog. Hopefully it won't take me more then a few days at the most.

Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend! My aunt just moved up, she's staying with my folks at the moment and selling her house through realators in ... Wyoming? Something like that. And my Mom's younger brother is visiting this weekend, but he's mostly coming up to visit his Dad and get some tools from him since he doesn't need them anymore. The family is having dinner on Saturday, but I have to work, so I'm hoping to see my uncle today. I haven't seen him since I was about 10 or something, I don't remember what he looks like really. Must remember film...

1 comment:

Peter said...

I think what we have attached to the building is a "poop deck"...