Thursday, November 10, 2005

Foiled Again

I had my first job interview yesterday, for an assistant manager position at The Cash Store (one of those payday cash advance places). The interview went great, I think; I even prepared for it by figuring out answers to possible questions before hand and it seemed like I had a really a good shot at the job. Except later that day she calls me to say that corporate said no becaue of my credit check! What, am I "high risk" or something? Do they expect me to start stealing money from the safe or what? Aarrgghh.... Back to looking, I guess.

I spent an hour hanging out the game store after my interview (it's just up the street from The Cash Store), which was fun. I don't think I ever really hung out at The Comic Shop or anywhere else I frequented. The Andrew guy that runs the place seems really normal. He used to work for Merlyns (the big game store downtown) and his store's been open for two years. He mentioned that he's got a year left on his lease, and he really doesn't know what he's going to do afterwards (since it really doesn't pay the bills).

I look at his store and see a place that looks really good, and could be a great shop, but I think that he's burned himself out (much like us at the end). he doesn't really play much any more, misses having freetime (although he has started taking Mondays and Tuesdays off), and the store is cluttered and really needs to be cleaned up, and I think he realizes this. It took every bit of self control to not go around and start fixing things when I was there. But I figure I might start hanging out there more often and "help out" some without becoming a real employee. Might actually be fun for a change. But I still need to find a real job....

Tonight's another retro-movie at the Valley theatre - this time it's Nightmare Before Christmas, and we're planning on meeting Tigger and Lincoln over there again. We'll probably get together before hand, maybe do dinner again. And Saturday we're supposed to get together with Jamie, either to watch the 3rd season of The League of Gentlemen, or go see Serenity (again).

Gah! I just got off the phone with a solicitor from the fire department asking for money again. I realize it's for a good cause and all, but they get these guys to do these totally pre-scripted shpiels that sound horribly forced and stilted (and don't let you get a word in). And the worst part of it is that it's for the Olympia fire department! That's on the other side of Washington! I really doubt if they're gonna run all the way across the state when my apartment bursts into flame. We've got a fire department just down the street, why don't those people give us a call?

Anyway, guess I'd better get moving. I've got laundry to do, and classifieds to peruse, and I need to give Tigger a call (although it might be a little early in the morning for that).

No comments: