We've both been fairly sick, off an on, for a while now. Jenny had a sinus infection for a couple of weeks that'd been keeping her down, and she really didn't have a way to take time off to recover. Realistically, she could, or atleast she should, but the corporate mess that is Michaels can't keep enough capable people in the framing department to cover any loss of hours so she ended up going into work anyway.
I've had a little bit of a cold that won't go away, even with copious amounts of vitamin supplements, but I finally was feeling really good at the end of last week. This, of course, was a now obvious precursor to me getting completely bowled over by this horrible sinus/stomach flu thing that's knocked me out for the last few days. It couldn't have picked a less desirable time to hit, as we're counting down the days till our weekend mini-vacation in Seattle for the Emerald City Comic-Con.
Jenny was able to get the time off she had requested (which was amazing in it's own right), so we'll be leaving sometime during the day on Friday and coming back on Monday, probably later in the evening. We did this trip this time last year, but without the extra buffer days for travel, so we didn't leave until Friday evening and most of the journey was in the dark. Atleast we'll be able to drive over during the day this time, actually see where we're going and enjoy the sights, and maybe not while driving directly into the sun the whole way, if we leave early enough. Our friends Shane and Rita have offered to put us up for the weekend, so we'll get to see them and have all sorts of geeky fun at the convention. Hopefully we'll get some more sketches, meet some cool creators, and find some cheap comics to fill out our collections.
I really hate having to call in sick, but I didn't have much of a choice the past few days. I woke up this morning and thought I'd be going back into work, but after I got up and started moving around I knew that'd be a bad idea.... As much as I'd like to have some sort of medical benefits, atleast I have a job that lets me take sick days off with basically no questions asked. I'm still looking for a new job, but I'm not holding out too much hope of finding a better paying job (that I'm qualified for) in the classifieds. I'm also looking online, but I think if that "perfect job" is out there, I'm going to have to know the right person and be in the right place at the right time.
Our friend Eric let me in on a job opening at his firm for a file clerk, which I probably had a pretty good chance of getting, but ended up opting not applying for. As much as I'd really like to find a new job, this position wouldn't have been any closer to something that interests me and would require learning a whole new world of technical jargon and probably would've required a lot more selective and expensive wardrobe (that can't be covered by a labcoat). It would have come with some benefits, but also paid less, and there wasn't the same guaranteed schedule that I currently have.
Besides, I know that if I had taken the job, I would have ended up quitting as soon as I found something better, and I wouldn't want to leave Eric in a lurch like that. I guess that as much as I complain about my current job, it's not really that bad, all things considered. But it's definately not what I want to be doing long term (obviously), so I really need to buckle down and start working on my art and writing if I want to get out of the 8-5 grind.
Still no word yet on Jenny's possible new job prospect. She hasn't heard anything from the other frame shop, although she does know she's getting sick of working for Michaels. They've got a revolving door of employees, and it seems the frame shop is the most difficult to keep staffed. Her ex-manager left (for the frame shop she wants to work at), and they got a replacement who lasted for 3 days before walking out and taking a better paying job at a completely different company. His replacement is way too young and has no management experience. I'm sure they'd like to promote Jenny, but there's no way she would ever take it (and her superiors know this).
My hopes for a clean break from the IRS were shattered when I received yet another statement in the mail this month, for a completely different amount (a little over a $100 this time). I'm through with dealing with them by phone. I know I need to just go into the local office with my checkbook and ask them "how much do you want?" At this point I'm willing to give them more than they're owed (which, if they never find that last check, I already have), just to be done with the whole situation. The problem is when I'll actually be able to get to the IRS office, as I'm at work from 8-5, Monday though Friday.
Well, that just about brings us up to speed with all the basic going-ons....