Friday, May 23, 2008

The Empire (aka I.R.S.) Strikes Back....

Well, while we (per usual, unfortunately) filed our taxes just in the nick of time this year, it's now been over a month and we haven't yet received our refund or our "Economic Stimulus" rebate. So I checked online and it said that there was a delay in processing our refund due to an "outstanding tax liability". Understandably, I was concerned since I shouldn't have any "outstanding liabilities" and we really want our money!

I called the IRS tonight. First I talked to a nice gentleman who said that there was this refund and rebate sitting there waiting for us, but it was being held, apparently due to a business related liability. "Do you have a business account?" he asks me. "Why yes, I had a business account," I reply "however it's long closed and I paid the last monies due over a year ago, in person, and haven't heard anything from the IRS about it since." And if I know the IRS, if I really owed them money, they would have come to collect by now.

He can't help me, since he doesn't handle business accounts; so he transfers me to someone else, after telling me exactly what I need to tell said person about my situation. After spending a long while on hold, I speak to a nice lady who takes all my info and puts me on hold again and starts the search for the cause of my troubles. She pops back in a couple of times, apologizes for keeping me on hold for so long, and asks more questions, trying to figure out exactly where these mysterious liabilities might be hiding.

She lets me know that as far as she can tell, I don't owe any money (which I already knew), but before she can release the hold she has to be absolutely sure . This understandable - I'm sure she doesn't want her bosses at the IRS coming after her any more than I do. Then, mid-sentence, she stops. "Oh, I'm sorry, it's right there in front of me! It's been released."

She then explains that the hold was released on the 19th of this month, so we should be getting our money some time in the next 2-3 weeks. No reason why it took them over a month to release the hold, especially since the business debts were paid off a year ago (April 12th, 2007 to be specific), but considering all the problems I had paying them originally, I really shouldn't be surprised.

So that was a whole lot of non-fun. We closed the store 5 years ago and it's still a headache....

In non-stupid IRS related news, Jenny's sick now as well. She thinks it's some sort of sinus infection, and is going to take tomorrow off from her morning job so she can get some more rest. I'm starting to feel better, but I still haven't shaken this thing.

Oh, and I did get caught up on sleep last night. Still not back to getting up early, but sleep schedule is semi-normal again.

No comments: