Thursday, June 19, 2008

Update

Well, haven't blogged in a while, so what's been going on....

Still unemployed, but that's not too surprising, considering how things are going right now with so many people being out of work. I'm looking, and applying sporadically, but really I've found very few prospects that even interest me. And the last thing I want to do right now is just take "a job", and end up working somewhere I don't want to for longer than I intend....

I had planned on filing for unemployment, since it'd been a couple of months and I hadn't found anything yet. Unfortunately I've discovered that Washington's rules are far more prohibitive than Alaska's (which I'm used to). After much web-browsing, downloading, printing and reading, I've learned that there is no chance of me being approved for unemployment benefits, since I voluntarily quit and it wasn't because I was being discriminated against, harassed, or anything else like that.

Great. So, it's back to looking for a job, I guess....

I have had more time to work on art, and am finally getting back into the swing of things. The Upper Deck card company just put out an open call for artists to draw sketch cards to be included in the upcoming Marvel masterpiece set, so I worked up some Marvel sketch card samples and emailed those today. I don't know if I'll make the cut, but I've got my fingers crossed. :)

The other idea that I've been kicking around is the prospect of going back to school and actually getting my degree, either in fine art or graphic design. I've been doing a little research online regarding scholarships and other financial aid, since realistically that'd be the only way I'd be able to afford it at this point. I'd probably just go to the local community college, which seems to have a pretty good art program, and would be fairly convenient (I could take the bus, save gas money). No idea if/when this is going to occur, but Jenny thinks it'd be a really good thing for me, so we'll see what happens....

Summer's pretty much here in full force, and I really wasn't prepared for it. Other than a huge thunderstorm last week, it's been predominantly hot and sunny and we've had the A/C on the past few days. It's going to be a long summer.

Otherwise, pretty normal. I was going to run down the list of all the movies we've seen lately (since renting DVDs is a lot cheaper than going out, we've been doing it more than normal), but I think I'll leave that for next time. I'm sure I'm forgetting something else I was going to mention, but oh well.... next time as well, I guess. :)

No comments: